TRUE ADVENTURE REQUIRES AN UNCERTAIN OUTCOME

October 10, 2010

August 17, 2010 - "I am so sorry to have to tell you this but you have cancer, Dennis"

I was surprised to get a telephone call about 9 o'clock from my Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor!  Yeah, that is what I should say about that call.  But, that wouldn't be true...

I had visited him for the first time the week before when my family doctor referred me him to check out a couple bumps I was feeling growing below my right ear below the way in the neck. I went to him feeling pretty relaxed and confident that I knew what those bumps were.  I had surgery in August 2006 to remove a benign tumor in my parotid (salivary) gland in the same general area.  After that surgery, that doctor warned me that sometimes these things come back.

I recall thinking I was bringing my new ENT doc an easy ride to my insurance for a quickie surgery to go get another benign tumor.  I figured I was going to get a free ride for a week or so off from the office to recover from the surgery.  After that, a little humor mileage from the big ol' ugly scar these surgeries create.